Welcome to the Friday Freebie!
Each week we share one impactful hotel marketing tactic that you can implement immediately to drive more conversions and more revenue.
This week’s Freebie: Stop obsessing about the quantity of traffic and visitors to your hotel website…instead, focus on how many actually enter the booking environment!
It’s every hotel marketer’s reality:
We have loads of stats to track…from website stats, search rankings, to social media likes and email open rates. And we know that gathering data is instrumental to finessing our marketing campaigns and being accountable to ownership and upper management.
However, some metrics can be dangerously misleading. One of those often-deceptive metrics happens to be extremely popular in hotel marketing: Online traffic and visitors to your hotel website.
Why is it misleading?
While a gradual, sustained increase in website traffic is a great thing, don’t let the numbers mislead you into thinking your site is performing better than it really is (conversely, if it drops, don’t freak out and think the sky is falling.)
The following are just a few of the factors can cause your traffic/visitors to create a “false echo” and send you off trying to fix (or replicate) something that it is out of your control:
- Seasonality can affect traffic up and down.
- A major PR story about your property can cause traffic to spike.
- PPC and Promo campaigns (avoid Groupon please!) can increase traffic and cause it to drop when its over.
- Local/regional events nearby your property will cause it to spike & drop.
- Changes in the way Google displays their search engine result pages (SERPs) can actually cause LESS traffic to come to your site (because users are getting their answers right on Google’s SERPs!
Ultimately, it comes down to the quality of traffic, not quantity.
And there are three primary keys to attracting QUALITY traffic:
- Tell the story only your property can tell: If you want to find the right guests who will buy and return, then you have to give them a truthful, relevant reason to consider you! You must understand your ideal guest persona and communicate your UVP across every marketing touchpoint.
- Stop using cheap tactics: Lots of unsavory digital “publishers” sell access to cheap traffic. But what good does it do if your traffic is coming from click-robots in Kazakhstan? Your digital team (or ask your guests!) should be able to easily explain which media they actually consume on their purchase journey. (And do we really need to talk about the poor quality traffic from flash sale providers like Groupon?)
- Invest in long-term organic hotel SEO content: Choose the right keywords to start building long-term content around: You will never rank on page 1 of Google for “Hotels in Boston” but you have a decent shot of ranking for “Hotels near Fenway Park” if your SEO and content team is producing content EVERY MONTH with that “long-tail” focus. Another simple trick: your content can bring you loads of quality search traffic if it answers the questions of your potential customers… you can use this handy/cheap tool to see what questions people are actually typing in about your market and compset
REMEMBER: If you have to pick one thing to focus on to measure the performance of your website, track entrances into your hotel booking engine and calls to your reservation center.
Get more examples: We Need to Talk About Hotel Metrics
Tambourine uses technology and creativity to increase revenue for hotels and destinations worldwide. The firm, now in its 33rd year, is located in New York City and Fort Lauderdale. Please visit: www.Tambourine.com