We dug up these 20 digital marketing nuggets (across all industries) to help you benchmark your efforts and determine which efforts are worth while.
Hotel Email Marketing
Despite all the attention given to social media marketing and mobile marketing, email marketing still holds a place as one of the most successful online marketing platforms.
- Targeted emails sent to segmented lists generate 58% of all digital revenue (The Direct Marketing Association, 2015).
- 86% of consumers prefer companies that send promotional emails monthly, while only 15% would like to receive them daily (Statista, 2015).
- 48% of emails are opened using a smartphone (Movable Ink, 2015).
Hotel Digital Display Advertising
Display ads are one of the oldest forms of online hotel advertising. However, today’s audiences have a much different opinion and level of patience with certain digital ads. Here’s what you should know before putting together a plan for online advertising.
- 91% of consumers believe ads are more intrusive today than a couple of years ago (HubSpot, 2016).
- The average CTR of display ads is 0.06% (HubSpot).
- Retargeting campaigns can result in a high ROI (Retargeter). People subject to retargeting are 70% more likely to convert (Digital Information World).
- WPP's GroupM, a huge international ad buyer, forecasted that digital will likely account for 77% of total spend in 2017.
- Asked to name their number-one challenge, 15% of digital marketers said “meeting the expectations of the always-connected customer,” 14% chose “executing consistent campaigns that drive desired business outcomes” (i.e. leads or revenue) and 13% cited the proliferation of channels across paid, owned and earned media (B2B Marketing Insider).
Hotel Social Media Marketing
According to Hootsuite, 83% of Americans have a social media account. Social media has drastically changed how hotel brands interact and get in front of their target audiences. Here are some stats to keep in mind when putting together your hotel's social media strategy:
- When social media is part of their buyer’s journey, customers tend to convert at a 129% higher rate. They are also four times as likely to spend significantly more than those without a social component (Deloitte).
- 61% of companies that invested at least six hours each week in social media marketing saw an increase in their search engine rankings (Social Media Examiner, 2015).
- 59% of Instagram’s 500 million monthly users visit the app each day, including 35% who visit their accounts multiple times (Pew Research Center, 2015).
Hotel Mobile Marketing
Consumers’ reliance on mobile devices increases each day, with smart phones seeping into almost each moment of their lives. So, optimizing your hotel marketing efforts for mobile should be one of your hotel’s top priorities.
- One-third of people say their smartphone is the primary device to access the internet (HubSpot, 2016).
- 61% of people are unlikely to return to a brand’s mobile site if they experienced a problem accessing it. On top of that, 40% will visit a competitor instead (McKinsey & Company).
- 31% of people say they open and read half of their emails on their mobile device (2015 State of Marketing Report). Meanwhile, about 80% of the time spent on social media sites happen on mobile devices (Marketing Land).
- 48% of people start any mobile research with a search engine, instead of an online app (Smart Insights, 2016).
- More Google searches are made on mobile devices than on desktop computers in 10 countries, including the US and Japan (Google, 2015).
Learn More: Is the iPhone Killing Your Hotel Revenue? Hotel SEO
As the rules for search engine optimization continue to morph each year, it’s more important than ever for hotels to stay up-to-date on the latest developments and techniques to increase their placement in an online search.
- According to 72% of marketers, the most effective SEO tactic is creating relevant content (Ascend2, 2015).
Hotel Content Marketing
Creating compelling destination and hotel content (blogs, videos, fun visitor guides, etc.) has the power to attract, engage and inform travelers and meeting planners, while also establishing your property as a unique experience provider.
- B2C companies that published more than 11 blog posts a month receive 4 times more leads than companies that only blogged 4-5 times a month (HubSpot, 2015).
- 43% of people say they skim, not thoroughly read, blog posts (HubSpot, 2016).
- Infographics are liked and shared on social media 3 times more than any other type of content (Mass Planner, 2015). (Source: HubSpot)