HSMAI recently announced it’s putting together a digital marketing benchmark report.
Let’s take a look at the results so far:
- Approximately 60% of hotels spend more than 25% of their marketing budget on digital.
- About 55% of hotels see fewer than 10,000 visitors per month. A little over 30% see 10,001-50,000 visitors per month. We already know travelers are using the web for research. If your hotel is in the fewer than 10,000 group, it’s not unreasonable to set a goal to pull yourself up into the next category.
- Interestingly, the amount of traffic from search engines seems to be either a major strength or major weakness. Probably due the importance of being on the first two pages. 25% said over 60% of traffic comes from search engines. While over 30% receive less than 30% of traffic from search engines.
- Congratulations to the 79% of you whose hotel website design scheme includes a mobile website! We consider this a must-have. If you’re not there yet, it’s time.
- Finally, only 25% of hotels have a dedicated digital marketing manager who spends at least 75% of their time on digital marketing. At first this might surprise you, considering the growing importance on digital. Yet with so many outsourcing options, it may be that hotels are using other resources. The vital thing to remember is digital changes faster than any other marketing medium. Just keeping up on the digital marketing world is a full-time job. You must have someone looking out for your property in the digital world.
How do you match up? Do these numbers surprise you? Let us know in the comments below.
Tambourine uses technology and creativity to increase revenue for hotels and destinations worldwide. The firm, now in its 33rd year, is located in New York City and Fort Lauderdale. Please visit: www.Tambourine.com